Reverend Forest Adams relocated to Syracuse, New York in the 1940's from Chattanooga, Tennessee. On January 9, 1954, the Tucker Missionary Baptist church was founded; having the first service at 829 East Washington Street, Syracuse. At the first service, nineteen Christians joined the church including Sister Ella Adams, wife of Rev. Adams and Sister Carrie Nellons, sister of Rev. Adams. The congregation outgrew the space on Washington Street and moved to a Co-op Hall on Harrison Street and then moved again to Montgomery Street. The next move was to 515 Oakwood Avenue, where members currently worship. On June 12, 1974, as the congregation praised the Lord and clapped their hands, Deacon Willard Waller burned the first mortgage papers.
Reverend Adams was a firm believer in Christian Education and placed special emphasis on religious education on the local, state and national levels. Rev. Adams was appointed the first Vice President of the Empire State Baptist Sunday School and Training Congress. Rev Adams retired from Pastoring in 1990. After 33 years of faithful service, the Lord called Rev Forest Adams home to rest, on July 24, 1991.
In January 1992, Rev. Robert E. Baines, Jr. became our second Pastor. His ministry emphasized training and tithing. His gift of preaching, teaching and singing helped to revitalize the members and many souls were saves. His leadership also embarked Tucker on other new adventures such as park revivals, outreach programs, marriage enrichment retreats and the scholarship program. After 3 years of leadership at Tucker, the Lord moved him and he was called to pastor in the state of Ohio.
On December 4, 1995, Pastor Leslie J. Johnson, II was called from Dallas, Texas to become the third Pastor of Tucker Missionary Baptist Church. Pastor Johnson evaluated the mission of Tucker and began to strengthen and improve the foundation that was already laid before him. Pastor Johnson sparked a membership growth that created a need for a larger facility. A committee was formed and additional land was purchased. On November 15, 1997, ground was broken for the $1.2 million building project, which would include a 650-seat sanctuary, office complex, kitchen renovation and parking area. Under the theme of "Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it", the first service in the new edifice was held on Sunday, May 24, 1998, to much joyous praise. A 15-passenger van and an ambulatory bus were purchased to transport members to and from service. Services were expanded to include an 8a.m. worship service and Junior Church for the children and youth. Sunday school has expanded to include couples class and Tucker offers a nationally accredited school, which offers state and national courses throughout the year. Pastor Johnson retired as Pastor of TMBC on July 09,2014.
Tucker Missionary Baptist Church continues to build on the legacy and foundation of Rev. Adams by reaching beyond our walls and tackling such issues as domestic violence, educational opportunities and several other issues that effect our community. With all that we do with and for the community, we never lose sight of our mission, which is to save souls to Christ.